This feature enables the systems administrators to create a new Backup Administrator Account on domain computers and to manage the backup administrator account password. The Backup Administrator Account Management feature can be configured using the Administrative Template file that is provided with the software.
In a typical scenario, the IT Security Policy demands that the Built-In Administrator Account default name is renamed and its password complies with the strict password policy ( typically, complex password with 8 to 14 characters that is changed every 60 days ) and is well secured. SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software Built-In Administrator Account Management feature addresses this challenge.
Additionally, the Backup Administrator Account Management feature can be enabled to setup a backdoor account for restricted use by systems administrators. Managing the password(s) of the Built-In Administrator account and of the Backup Administrator Account on thousands of domain computers can become an overwhelming task. Systems Administrators may choose one common password across all computers and maintain an Excel spreadsheet or a database containing unique password for each computer. SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions offer a feature that seamlessly integrates with Active Directory environment and without requiring an external database.
The software generates unique and complex password string of length 8 to 48 characters for each computer and stores the encrypted value in Active Directory that can be retrieved by designated administrators only. The scope of administration is managed by using an Active Directory Security group. For example a security group SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers may be provisioned for this purpose. The security group contains the domain computer accounts ( of computers installed with the software ) and systems administrators' domain accounts that must be allowed to retrieve password. Password are retrieve using the Admin Tools menu option in the same SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software.
This article provides instructions on testing the SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software. The Backup Administrator Account Password Management feature is configured using the Administrative Template. After installing the Administrative Template file, the policy setting can be found under COMPUTER CONFIGURATION \ Administrative Templates \ SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions \ Local Users and Groups \ Backup Administrator Account Management. The Explain tab of the Group Policy setting provides online instructions on configuring the feature.
- Supported Microsoft Windows Operating System
- Microsoft Windows XP or
- Microsoft Windows Vista or
- Microsoft Windows 7.0 or
- Microsoft Windows 8.0
- .NET Framework
- .NET Framework 2.0 for SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions 2012
- .NET Framework 4.0 for SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions 2013
- Domain Membership in Microsoft Active Directory domain
- Microsoft Outlook or other EMail client for Microsoft(R) Windows(TM)
- EMail client is required to submit log files to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions 2013
Active Directory Domain Environment
- Single Active Directory Domain environment i.e. Single Forest with Forest Root Domain only example. F10.LOCAL
- You can setup a more complex Active Directory Domain environment, if needed. For example, one forest F10.LOCAL with child domains D10.F10.LOCAL, D11.F10.LOCAL and D12.F10.LOCAL and a trusted forest F20.LOCAL with child domains D20.F20.LOCAL, D21.F20.LOCAL and D22.F20.LOCAL
- Security Group(s)
- Create a security group called "SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers". The group type may be Domain Global Group or Domain Local Group.
- Add the test domain computer(s) into the security group "SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers"
- Add systems administrators domain account(s) into the security group "SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers"
- Delegate Control
- Not applicable for configuring this feature
- Configure domain Group Policy Object
- Copy SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions Administrative Template file SYNERGIX-ADCE.ADMX to %SystemRoot%\PolicyDefinitions on admin workstation ( must be Windows 7.0 )
- Copy SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions Administrative Template Language file SYNERGIX-ADCE.ADML to %SystemRoot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US on same admin workstation ( must be Windows 7.0 )
- Using GPMC.MSC, edit existing or new Group Policy Object.
- In Group Policy Editor, expand COMPUTER CONFIGURATION
- Expand Administrative Templates
- Expand SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions
- Expand Local Users and Groups
- Select Backup Administrator Account Management
- Click on the Enable radio button to enable the policy setting
- For administrator account status, select Enable, Disable or Leave as-is. Default is to have it Enabled
- For Password String Generation Method, select Generate Unique and Complex Password. This option is strongly recommended.
- If you wish to instead have a fixed password assigned to the Built-In Administrator Account on all client computers with SYNERGIX ADCE installed, type a password string. It will be translated into encrypted value and stored in Active Directory.
- Set Password Policy, as appropriate. Default values i.e. Password length ( 8 characters ) , Minimum Password Age ( 7 days ) and Password Validation Interval ( 1,440 hours ) are recommended.
- By default, the encrypted password is stored in a multi-valued attribute of the computer object and replicated to all domain controllers as part of normal Active Directory replication cycle. It is recommended the default setting is not changed..
- Click OK to save the Group Policy settings.
- Ensure your (admin) account is member of the SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers security group
- Log into a domain computer with the domain account ( your admin account ) that has local administrative privileges on the workstation.
- Ensure the SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions specific Grou Policy settings were applied
- Launch RSOP.MSC or run GPRESULT.EXE /v to confirm
- Install SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software
- After the software is successfully installed, double click on the orange icon in the system tray.
- You should see Admin Tools ( click here ) in the menu bar. it is visible only to members of the SYNERGIX ADCE Managed Computers security group.
- Select a computer from the list. Double click on it. You should be able to see the decrypted password string for the Backup Administrator Account.. By default, the backup administrator account is created using the su-%computername%template
- Note the acronym su simply means super user. You can create a template of your choice.
Note: You can use the Built-In Administrator Account Management GPO setting to manage the Built-In Administrator Account Password.
- Pass or
Test Result Submission
- Complete the Test Environment worksheet
- Upload test results document file to software test repository
- Upload log files
- Output of GPRESULTS.EXE /V command