We are no longer updating this content regularly. Please visit our knowledge base for most current version.
When the policy setting is enabled or left as 'Not Configured', Group Policies are refreshed soon after corporate network connectivity is established, via VPN, WiFi or LAN connection.
You may specify additional parameters in the policy settings. The parameters that can be specified are same as in the gpupdate.exe command syntax. For example, you may wish to force the download of all applied Group Policy objects instead of merely refreshing the policies (which is the default). In this case, you will specify "/force" ( without the quotes ) in the Parameters text box.
The Minimum Run Interval setting allow you to set a threshold period that must elapse before the Group Policy is applied again. This setting is useful when you suspect network packets are dropped on the VPN connection and the software detects it as disconnection from the corporate network or more specifically from a domain controller.
The Minimum Run Interval setting prevents the group policies from refreshing often on an unreliable VPN connection.
This article provides instructions on testing the SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software. Group Policy update feature is configured using the Administrative Template. After installing the Administrative Template file, the policy setting can be found under COMPUTER CONFIGURATION \ Administrative Templates \ SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions \ System\ Group Policy\ Group Policy update.
Note: The Explain tab of the Group Policy setting provides online instructions on configuring the feature.
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows 7.0
- Microsoft Windows 8.0 or 8.1
- .NET Framework 4.0 and required update
- Active Domain Membership in Microsoft Active Directory domain
- Microsoft Outlook or other EMail client
- SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions 2014
Active Directory Domain Environment
- Single Active Directory Domain environment i.e. Single Forest with Forest Root Domain only example. F10.LOCAL
- You can setup a more complex Active Directory Domain environment, if needed. For example, one forest F10.LOCAL with child domains D10.F10.LOCAL, D11.F10.LOCAL and D12.F10.LOCAL and a trusted forest F20.LOCAL with child domains D20.F20.LOCAL, D21.F20.LOCAL and D22.F20.LOCAL
- Security Group(s)
* Not required for this feature
- Delegate Control
* Not required for this feature
Configure domain Group Policy Object
Copy SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions Administrative Template file SYNERGIX-ADCE.ADMX to %SystemRoot%\PolicyDefinitions on admin workstation (must be Windows 7.0)
Copy SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions Administrative Template Language file SYNERGIX-ADCE.ADML to %SystemRoot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US on same admin workstation ( must be Windows 7.0 )
Now configure ADCE’s “Group Policy update” feature
- Using GPMC.MSC, edit existing or new Group Policy Object
- Expand COMPUTER CONFIGURATION
- Expand Policies
- Expand Administrative Templates
- Expand SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions
- Expand System
- Expand Group Policy
- Double Click on “Group Policy update” and enable it.
- Select check box for “Display notification when policy is updated”
- Click on Apply/OK
- Log into a domain computer with the domain account (your admin account) that has local administrative privileges on the workstation.
- Ensure the SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions specific Group Policy settings were applied
- Launch RSOP.MSC or run GPRESULT.EXE /v to confirm
- Install SYNERGIX AD Client Extensions software
- After the software is successfully installed, you should disconnect your network ( VPN or LAN ) and wait until the Run Interval configured in the policy has elapsed
- Re-connect to your corporate network ( VPN or LAN ).
- The group policy will be refreshed and can be validated by observing recent Event Log entries.
- Pass or
Test Result Submission
- Complete the Test Environment worksheet
- Upload test results document file to software test repository
- Upload log files
- Output of GPRESULTS.EXE /V command